1. Tell me a little about yourself I am nine years old and live in sunny Chandler AZ. I am in the fourth grade, the narrator in my school play and love to read! I started a sewing business called Stitches by Charlotte when I was 7 to raise money for a local hospital. I was born with a cleft lip & palate and I love helping little babies that were born like me. I think smiles are so important.
2. I learned to sew when I was 3. When did you learn to sew? I learned to sew right before I turned 8. I got a sewing machine for Christmas from my Nana and Papa. I got a sewing books with my machine and found a doll pattern and decided to try it out.
3. How did you get the idea for the dolls and giving them to kids in the hospital? I was asked to make a few special dolls for kids undergoing medical care. I really liked the way I felt seeing the kids smile after receiving my dolls. I’ve been through several surgeries myself so I know it can be scary. When I had my surgeries I would have loved to have a little something cute and soft to hug.
4. How long does it take to make a doll? There’s many things that I have to do to make a doll. I pick and cut fabric. I pin the pieces together before I sew every little piece. The little pieces get sewn to the big pieces. The last steps are my favorite… I get to flip the doll right side out and stuff it! The time depends if I’m sewing 5 of the same doll or a one-of-a-kind doll. I’ve gotten pretty speedy so it usually takes 3-5 hours per doll.
5. As a book reviewer, I have to ask – have you read any good books lately? Yes, I recently started reading the Kingdom Keepers series by Ridley Pearson. I loved the first book and can’t wait to keep going. I’m a huge Disney fan so it’s a great series for me! The books take place in the Disney World Park after the park closes.
6. Do you have a favorite author or book series? Since I someday hope to be a fashion designer, I really enjoy the Chloe by Design books by Margaret Gurevich. It’s about a young designer making her sewing dreams a reality! I love the graphic illustrations that go along with the story! If you’re a Project Runway fan and love looking at fashion sketches, you won’t be able to put it down!! The series SEW ZOEY by Chloe Taylor is also a cute sewing series!
7. Do you find it hard to balance your doll making with school and being a kid? Sometimes I have to sew before I can go and play, but I love what I do and I believe what I do is important.
8. Do you have any advice for a kid wanting to do a project like yours?
Always believe in what you do and work hard to make your dream become a reality but always remember to have fun too!
My favorite Bible verse is
Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity. 1 Timothy 4:12