Bridget note:I have interviewed Matthew Cordell previously. His daughter, Romy, has provided reviews for my blog. When I heard the news that Matthew had won the Caldecott this year, I was curious what Romy thought. So I asked her about it.
1. How did you find out your dad won the Caldecott Award?
When I woke up in the morning, my mom was very excited and she said, “Your Dad won the Caldecott!” And then I went into my parents’ room and my Dad was on the phone. When he finally got off the phone, I jumped on him and hugged him, and I screamed until I was hoarse. Then, my parents let me and my brother stay home from school for the morning, so we could watch Dad get the award on TV. My dad and I went and got donuts and when we went home, we ate our donuts and we watched the award announcements.
2. What was your first thought when you heard the news?
My first thought was: AAAAAAHHHHHH! OH MY GOSH! AM I DREAMING? SOMEBODY PINCH ME!!!!!
3. This isn’t the first award Wolf in the Snow has won, but was this surprising or shocking?
Wolf in the Snow won a Boston Globe-Horn Book honor award first, and then when it won another award, you’d think it wouldn’t be as shocking. But it really was because the Caldecott is a huge honor.
4. Did your dad use his win to get out of a chore? (My Dad would.)
Actually no, but he wanted to. He didn’t because my mom wouldn’t let him.
5. What did your classmates think?
Some of my classmates didn’t know what it was, but the ones who did totally flipped. Some of my teachers didn’t know either, but the ones who did were silent for a minute.
6. Do you get to go with your dad to get the award?
Yes, because my Dad didn’t want to go without me. I’m so glad, my whole family is going. I am really excited about going to New Orleans, but I don’t like when my ears pop on the plane.
7. Both your parents are writers. What does that feel like? (P.S. My mom really likes your mom’s books.)
It feels really good since I can give my teachers a truck load of signed books for the holidays. (And that is so nice of you to tell me! I’m so glad!)
8. Who is the coolest person you have met?
Well, I’ve met lots of cool people, but I think the coolest person I’ve met is Carrie Fisher and her dog, Gary Fisher. (Bridget note:SUPER JEALOUS!)
9. What was your favorite book this past year?
I love to read and I have a lot of favorite books, but I think my all time favorite is How to Train Your Dragon, book, 3, How to Speak Dragonese by Cressida Cowell.
10. Do you think you might write a book?
I’ve been working on a novel since second grade, but I don’t think I will finish that one. I want to write a different one, but I don’t really know what it will be about.
Thanks, Romy! I have seen lots of interviews from your dad on this but it is cool to hear what a kid thinks. Plus I can’t wait to see your book! ~ Bridget