By Ann Clare LeZotte
Book Source: purchased
Book Status: available
1. The girl, Mary, is deaf. A lot of people are deaf on the island that she lives on. She wonders why some people are deaf and some are not. Her father is deaf but her mother is not. Her friend’s parents are both deaf but her friend is not.
2. One day, a scientist, Andrew, arrives to investigate the cause of the deafness on the island. He is “nice and friendly!”. Cough-n- oooooooooops spoiler alert!!!
3. Then the kid—— OOOOOOOOOOPS SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!
4. This book is set in a time where I wouldn’t be surprised if what happened was regular. I wasn’t originally clear when the book took place but it was clear it wasn’t now.
5. This book is just Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo goooooood!!!!!!!!
6. I thought some of the ways they learned to communicate were cool. If you were hearing you used a horn to signal you wanted to talk to someone. If you were deaf, you scheduled it. They used spyglasses to see the other person.